Hank – We woke up before the 6:15 alarm, had our tea and light breakfast, packed up, and left just in time to meet the state park employees who came in to work. Last night there was nobody at the office. The sign said to get any campsite and then report in before 10:00 am the next day to register and pay. We paid our $22.75 for our one-night stay and hit the road. We spent almost 20 miles on a quiet Lakeshore Drive. Coming back to the highway we stopped for breakfast at Peg’s Place. From there we got onto US Hwy 62 and headed into Buffalo, NY. We were still following NY Bike Route 517, which the Adventure Cycling Northern Tier Route also follows. Coming into the downtown area we found a park with several Navy ships, a submarine, military equipment, and lots of monuments. We then got on the trail that took us to the Peace Bridge. The bridge has construction going on so pedestrians and bikers have to call for a shuttle. Our ride showed up in 20 minutes and Nick took us to the Canadian side. We put the bags back on the bikes and showed our passports to the customs officer. We were free to go after a few questions. We soon got on the Niagara Parkway, a scenic road that follows the Niagara River to Niagara Falls and beyond.
It was quiet and smooth sailing all the way to the falls. Then we hit all the tourists. No worries. We’re tourists, too. We walked our bikes along water’s edge and saw Horseshoe Falls and Niagara Falls. An older woman saw us and asked if we wanted our picture taken. She said she first saw these falls 30 years ago when she rode her bike here from Washington State. Cool.
We finally made our way to the hotel we’re staying at. We have another day here to see the sights. As for my shoulder, now that I know the problem is with my shoulder I was able to manage my pain much better today. If my shoulder hurt I would adjust it’s position until it stopped hurting. It worked well enough that the pain didn’t radiate to my back like yesterday.
Kathy – Hank was snoozing well last night after ingesting those muscle relaxers. So happy he slept well. He so needed a good night sleep. Today we rode 55 miles in hilly terrain for the first 30 miles. We just had a slight uphill during our last 25 miles of riding on the Canadian side. Total elevation was 1,000 feet and the temps were cloudy in the mid 70’s. Great cycling weather! We had a good ride to Canada and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing Horseshoe Falls along with Niagara Falls. They are both just spectacular. This natural beauty is a must for everyone’s bucket list. I was also very pleased to see Hank comfortable for the most part today. His pain level was a three on a 1 – 10 scale. So, tolerable for him. I am hoping the day off tomorrow will help him along with the night time muscle relaxants. I am concerned about his pain and really hope this subsides soon. We did have a wonderful dinner tonight and our hotel room is pretty sweet. We got a free upgrade since I’m part of their rewards program. We were too tired tonight, but tomorrow night we plan to see the evening lights on the Falls along with the fireworks display over the Falls. Tonight we rest, sleep well everyone!
A couple of notes…
- If you would like to view blog entries in chronological order use this format for the URL: http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/<year>/<month>/?order=asc
- For May 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/05/?order=asc
- For June 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/06/?order=asc
- For July 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/07/?order=asc
- For August 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/08/?order=asc
- If you would like to comment on a blog post, please click on the post title (or header), scroll to the bottom and you will then see the comments section where you can add your thoughts. We look forward to your comment and encouraging words. Thank you!
- If you would like to see our current location click on “The Route We’re Taking” The Route we are Taking page and you will see the Track my Tour https://trackmytour.com/WTjJB where you can see our daily travels.
- To see all the photos related to a blog post, simply click on one of the photos and it will move over (either to the left or right) to the next photo.
- If you would like to “follow” our blog, please go to the “Home” page and look in the bottom right corner on your computer where you will see a “+Follow” link. If you are viewing our blog on your cell phone, the location may vary depending on cell phones. Please look around to find this area. Just enter your email address there (only we can see it). Then, anytime we write a new blog post you will automatically get an email letting you know so you can read it at your leisure. Or, you can just bookmark our site and view when you like: www.HankandKathyGreer.com