Hank – We’ve decided to take a longer break to help rehab my shoulder. We’re hanging out with our very good friends, Barb and Keith Forbes, in Maine until this Saturday. On Saturday we fly home. We’ll be home for 10 days and return to Maine. A couple days after that we’ll hit the road again.
Kathy – Well, we made it across the country! We are at our friends Barb & Keith’s house in Glenburn, Maine relaxing and enjoying time with them. Happy to have this time with these two outstanding people that we love dearly.
It seems crazy that the first leg of our journey is completed. We left Spokane on May 3rd and finished this portion of the trip on August 27th. Not quite four months on the bikes and we have had an amazing journey thus far. We have seen so many beautiful places and had some really wonderful times with family and friends along the way. We also have meet many new friends. Our Warm Showers hosts (and sometimes total strangers) have opened up their homes to us also, which we are truly grateful for. Everyone has made us feel so welcome. I must say we have the BEST family and friends!! We are so thankful for everyone’s thoughts, prayers, support, kind words, encouragement, and overall generosity. We truly can not thank you all enough. We are also feeling blessed and thankful for our health and safety during this part of our trip.
We are excited to fly home for ten days to see family and friends as Hank rests his shoulder. Lucky for us that we will also be in Spokane at the perfect timing to ride in the 11th Annual Spokefest bicycle ride. I have done the past ten and wouldn’t want to miss out on one of these super fun rides. After our time in Spokane, we look forward to returning to Maine and continuing the second leg of our trip down to Key West, Florida. For now it’s rest time now, see you in a few weeks!!
Here are some stats from our first leg – Spokane to Maine…
- Total Miles Cycled: 3,820 miles!
- Total States Visited: 18 – Flowers planted in all states.
- Total Days Traveled: 116
- Longest Travel Day: 65 Miles – June 27, 2018 – Long Pine, Nebraska to O’Neil, Nebraska
- Shortest Travel Day: 16 Miles – August 19, 2018 – Syracuse, New York – Hank having shoulder pain.
- Hottest Travel Day: July 12, 2018 – It was 94 degrees, plus the heat index = 103 degrees! Clear Lake, Iowa to St. Ansgar, Iowa
- Flat Tires: Kathy – 10, Hank – 0
- Jars of Peanut Butter Consumed: 3
- Lodging Days: Camping – 51, Family/Friends – 9, Warm Showers – 13, Hotel – 36, Convent/Church – 3, Strangers opening up their home to us – 4
A couple of notes…
- If you would like to view blog entries in chronological order use this format for the URL: http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/<year>/<month>/?order=asc
- For May 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/05/?order=asc
- For June 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/06/?order=asc
- For July 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/07/?order=asc
- For August 2018, use http://www.hankandkathygreer.com/2018/08/?order=asc
- If you would like to comment on a blog post, please click on the post title (or header), scroll to the bottom and you will then see the comments section where you can add your thoughts. We look forward to your comment and encouraging words. Thank you!
- If you would like to see our current location click on “The Route We’re Taking” The Route we are Taking page and you will see the Track my Tour https://trackmytour.com/WTjJB where you can see our daily travels.
- To see all the photos related to a blog post, simply click on one of the photos and it will move over (either to the left or right) to the next photo.
- If you would like to “follow” our blog, please go to the “Home” page and look in the bottom right corner on your computer where you will see a “+Follow” link. If you are viewing our blog on your cell phone, the location may vary depending on cell phones. Please look around to find this area. Just enter your email address there (only we can see it). Then, anytime we write a new blog post you will automatically get an email letting you know so you can read it at your leisure. Or, you can just bookmark our site and view when you like: www.HankandKathyGreer.com